Boosting Health Sector to reduce its environmental impact using an innovative decision-making process based on LCA/LCC
The main objective of the project is to reduce the environmental impact associated to the health sector (e.g. hospitals) by facilitating the decision making process of the management through:
- Showing the real environmental and economic impact of the different environmental aspects associated to the organisation, considering their entire life cycle (highlighting hidden or external costs).
- Identifying the “key performance indicators” (KEPIs) and “functional units” which best fit with Health sector characteristics, in order to monitor and control these aspects.
- Identifying the Best Available Techniques (BATs) that can be applied to reduce these aspects, including technical, environmental and economic assessments.
- Supporting, with quantitative figures, the definition of “Sustainable Action Plans” to be applied to each centre, taking into account the previous information.
- Allowing a clear and quantitative comparison between the initial and improved situation (i.e. after action plan implementation), from an economic and environmental view point.
With the contribution of the LIFE financial instrument of the European Union.
Contact: G. Ferrer